Monday, June 6, 2011

On stage

Trying to boost my creativity I gave my self the assignment to do a shoot with all the PG6s slave flashes I could get. I started out with 4 but ended up with 10 PG6s's.
If possible I only wanted to use the PG6s (all in frame) but if necessary I would use other flashes (out of the frame). (I believe that the result counts and not the equipment you use. Yes, it can be a challenge to use only some flashes, but keeping the PG6s in frame and get good result can be a in some cases impossible.)
The first idea I had was to lay Anne on some kind of stage, with some floodlights at her feet. Because I had 10 flashes I decided it would be nice to place a row of light behind/above her.


On stage by Ragoem
On stage, a photo by Ragoem on Flickr.
I knew I had a wooden beam with holes to fit the spigot on top of a light stand. But the beam was not painted.  So out came the paint to make it black so it would blend into the background.
Now I needed a "stage". I still had an old board with holes from a bed somewhere. And lent me some crates from the the local supermarket to put the board on. The background fabric would continue over the "stage".
To ad some theatrical atmosphere to the photo, we garbed our Mister cool smoke machine and some ice from our fridge to create the low smoke in front of Anne.


Another idea I had was to make a circle of lights around Anne.
So what do i need? I have 10 light so I need 10 light stands.
I arranged the light in such way that they were low in front of her and high above her behind her.



Ring of light by Ragoem
Ring of light, a photo by Ragoem on Flickr.

But now I had a problem, the light in her face was coming from below, so i decided to use an extra flash.
I grabbed my GN300AD with the snoot set it to 1/2 power and aimed it on Anne's face, left from the camera facing down.
At the end, I asked Anne if she would hold one on the flashes in her hand and look into it while I made the picture. We made only a few of these ones because the PG6s's have a lot of power that close, and that is not pleasant for the eyes.



Hold the light by Ragoem
Hold the light, a photo by Ragoem on Flickr.

There  is still room for improvement but after all I think I succeeded on my own assignment.


No comments:

Post a Comment